Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Food Cravings

In the last week I have seriously grown more lustful towards good food and I mean - yummy gastronomical bliss food. Unfortunately my desires have shifted from Italian to Filipino flavors. Maybe I'm being nostalgic - no, I am seriously nostalgic. Just the thought of breakfast at home, hearing the chickens cockadoodledoo, the smell of burning wood, warm beams of sunshine straight from the sky to the window to the table, glowing, perfect. home.



I first arrived in Italy sometime in February early this year. We went to visit a friend's family house and there I was introduced to authentic Italian cuisine - by authentic Italians, no less! Lucky enough, the first pasta dish was Pasta al Pesto (my favorite), a rich and creamy mix of freshly ground basil leaves and pine nuts with grated parmegiano reggiano. Its exactly like what it should be but with a twist - she mixed in some potato slices and string beans with the pasta, boiling them together and on a plate they create a creamier consistency, marrying the flavors of fresh pesto. Magical.

I spent a month in Italy before going back to Asia for a 3-month grant in Singapore. There I would experience yet another kind of gastronomical bliss that would take me all over Asia in one place. I don't know if writing about this is good for my sanity but I do know that it helps keep my love alive. My love for home, for its people, for the diversity of flavors available around the world. :) oooooh flaaavoooorsss

No comments:

Post a Comment